One of the most important parts of any house is the kitchen. It is the space where the family gets together; meals are prepared and sometimes even eaten together.
These are why kitchen designs should be both functional and beautiful because nobody likes a kitchen that is wonderfully made but is not very utilitarian.
When talking about kitchen designs, the first focus falls on kitchen countertops. Although there are several materials with which such countertops are made, Formica countertops are the most common choice due to its efficiency and functionality.
The following article talks about Formica countertops. It answers all your questions regarding laminated countertops and how to use them.
You will find information on what Formica countertops are, how they are installed, how they can be cleaned and maintained and how they can be cut.
We have also added another section about the process of painting a pre-existing Formica kitchen countertop.
Formica kitchen countertops are widely popular and have been in the market for more than five decades. They are friendly for your pocket and looks good with any and every kind of kitchen décor you might have.
What is Formica countertop?
The name Formica is a copyrighted brand name. But what is popularly called Formica countertops is a kind of kitchen countertop.
Formica countertops are laminates made up of plastic layers blended onto a piece of particleboard or kraft paper.
Formica laminate countertops are widely used throughout the world and are well-known for many things.
Formica countertops are manufactured by many companies and have been in the market for a long time.
The process in which these countertops are built is simple yet requires precision; After the process is completed and the countertop is created and fitted in your kitchen, you will notice how clean the outcome is and how beautifully it blends with your kitchen décor.
Formica countertops are also an economical option. If you are on a budget, this kind of countertop will be the best for you.
The fact that it is both durable and fashionable makes it more cost-effective and budget-friendly.
You can get the look you want in your kitchen at a much lower cost. For example, if you want a kitchen countertop made of stone, it will cost you a fortune.
But if you want that with Formica countertop sheets, the cost comes down abruptly and you also get what you want. Formica kitchen countertops are also lightweight and easy to install.
This entails that you won’t need to spend another heavy sum of money for its installation.
These characteristics of Formica countertops make it all the more appropriate for people and houses of all kinds and needs.
Formica kitchen countertops can be made to look like wood, stone or even stainless steel.
You won’t even be able to distinguish between a real wooden kitchen countertop and a Formica countertop because of how real it looks.
This is the reason why Formica countertops are preferred and recommended by most contractors nowadays.
If you have an overall rustic design in your kitchen, the light or dark wooden Formica countertops will be the most appropriate for you.
On the other hand, if your kitchen has a classic look, we recommend you go for metallic designs.
This is the best thing about Formica laminate countertops – you can get whatever you like and however, you like to fit in your requirements.
Formica Countertops are available in a wide range of colors and designs for you to choose from.
How to install Formica Countertops?
Installing a Lowes Formica countertop is an easy task. However, you need to be well aware of all the nitty-gritty parts of the procedure.
To start off with, you need to ensure that you abide by all the safety precautions such as wearing safety goggles. After securing that, follow the simple steps stated below –
- Measure the countertop – The first step is to measure your kitchen’s countertop space. Having an accurate measurement is crucial to avoid greater problems later.
- Cut the Laminate – Once you know your countertop measurements, you can cut the laminate into the accurate dimensions. We have included the process of cutting a Formica countertop later in the article.
- Remove the sink – After you are completely ready to place the laminate, remove the whole connections of pipes and water. The sink and the upper cabinets should be removed and set aside.
- Place the cut out – Once you have cut out the perfect piece, place it on the kitchen countertop. After placing it on the cabinets, fill in all the gaps and spaces with construction adhesive. This will ensure that the cut of the countertop fit perfectly.
- Joining mitres – The next step is to join the mitres. In this step, you need to follow the instructions provided with the purchase, and you need to follow them strictly. You will need to apply the amount of recommended adhesive to secure the Formica countertop sheets. After that, join the mitre bolts and tighten them.
- Join the countertop and the wall – After securing the countertop on the cabinets, make sure you seal the gap between the countertop and the wall. You should make sure not to leave any part of the countertop with a gap or air space. This will lead to swelling and rotting in the long run.
- Put back the sink and other appliances – This is the last step in the procedure. But before doing this, you need to make sure that every inch of the area is dry. After that, place the sink and the other cabinets back to their original place and secure them. Make sure you settle every part of the countertop.
These were the simple steps of installing a Formica countertop.
Can you paint Formica Countertops?
Formica countertops have been a famous phenomenon since the 1960s. We have all been to houses which show off these kitchen countertops in the colours of the yesteryears. Formica countertops are extremely durable and will last you a lifetime if you want to.
But, with time, we grow tired of the same colours and designs. After a point we want to change the look of our kitchen and here comes the necessity of painting the countertops.
A wide variety of Formica countertops colours are available. You can choose from these colours to give your kitchen a fresh new look.
The process of colouring Formica laminate countertops is straightforward and doesn’t even require professional guidance. You can do it yourself with a little bit of research and proper understanding.
Another important thing to note here is the fact that painting over your already existing Formica kitchen countertop will help you hundreds of dollars that would have to be spent if you wanted to change the whole setup altogether.
Indeed, you can bring your whole family together to paint Formica countertops and make a day out of it. So, the main question now is about the process of painting a Formica countertops.
How to paint Formica countertops?
Painting a Formica laminate countertops is a really easy task. There are few, very simple steps and if followed properly, can yield amazing results.
Before starting off, check out the list of all the materials you will require painting your Formica kitchen countertops.
- High Gloss Enamel Paint – Always choose a bright and bright enamel paint that will brighten your kitchen space and give it a fresh look.
- Surface Degreaser – It is essential to decrease the surface of the exiting Formica countertop. You have to use a quality degreaser because this is one of the most important steps.
- Sandpaper of 250 grit – The sandpaper will provide for a better topography for the colour to be absorbed.
- Drop cloth – A drop cloth is used to protect the floor during such activities. It would be best if you were extra careful regarding this one.
- Epoxy Putty – If you have a countertop that has been in use for more than a decade, there is bound to be crack which will be filled in using this for a smoother surface for the paint to be held.
- Painter’s tape – Aren’t clean edges after a painting job just the most satisfying thing? Yes, that is why you need a tape.
- Paintbrush – This is possibly the most important of all the equipment necessary.
- Painter’s Palette – You cannot apply more paint that is absolutely suitable. You will need to dab off paint from the brush for a smoother finish at the countertop. That is where this important material comes in.
- A stir stick – You will need this to stir the paints and the primer.
- A water– based bonding primer – This will be required in the very first step of the painting procedure.
- Glossy acrylic topcoat – After you complete painting your Formica kitchen countertop, you should apply a clear acrylic coat to finish off the whole look.
After you gather all the instruments, you need to follow these simple steps –
- The first step is choosing the Formica countertop colour. There is a wide range of colours to choose from. Our recommendation in the case of colour will be to choose either semi-gloss or high-gloss enamel paint. This is because a kitchen countertop will be subjected to a lot of wear and tear. This means that scratches and dents will be very common. If you choose a high gloss paint, it will help with concealing these.
- Once you choose which colour you will apply to your Formica countertop you need to gather all your materials. Before starting off, it is crucial that you make sure that you have every item necessary for the activity at your immediate disposal. This will ensure that the work is done properly, with ease and within the anticipated time limit. Please make sure the countertop is cleared of everything, and a drop cloth is stretched out through the floor to avoid any damage that can be caused to it.
- The third step after you have arranged for everything will be to de-grease your Formica countertop’s surface. Make sure you do it properly; otherwise, the paint will not stick to it properly. After you de-grease, tape the edges to avoid spilling paint on them and having clear cut edges.
- The fourth step is to use sandpaper and sand the surface of the Formica kitchen countertop. This step is important because sanding the surface will remove its smoothness, which will help in better absorption of the paint.
- As mentioned earlier, your kitchen top will definitely have scratches and dents from years of use. In the fifth step, you will need to fill in all these spaces. This will help you to paint Formica countertops more smoothly.
- From the sixth step, the main and the messy part begins. The first coat that has to be applied on the countertop is that of the water-based bonding primer. Use a high-quality paintbrush for this step. Apply a coat of the primer first and make sure to do it precisely. Cover all of the areas smoothly. Apply a second coat of the primer to even out the surface and make it ready for the Formica countertop colour you have selected. After this, you need to wait for some time until it is dry enough to touch.
- The seventh step is the most exciting part. Apply the Formica countertop colour of your choice on the surface. To prepare for it, you will need to prepare the paint using the stirring stick. After this carefully fill the surface with the colour. You need to use long strokes in this step for a smoother finish. According to our estimation, two coats of paints will be appropriate for a perfect finish. But, it would help if you judge it yourself. Once you have competed with the first coat, you will need to wait for it to dry and then apply the second one.
- The next step will be to apply the clear top coat over the layer of colour. You have to wait till the two coats of paints have completely dried out before applying the topcoat.
- After the layer of topcoat dries up, it is time to wrap it up. Remove the tapes from the edges, remove the drop cloth and clean the newly painted Formica kitchen countertop. Bring in all the things that you had cleared before you started the process.
- The last step is to check out the counter, appreciate your skills, and welcome guests to brag about your skills.
How to Cut Formica Countertops?
Cutting a Formica countertop is not a difficult task. You need to understand that Formica countertop sheets are arranged together and might chip if you don’t do it properly.
The first step is to ensure that you are abiding by all the necessary safety precautions. Wear gears to protect your eyes and the respiratory tract.
After that, measure the length of your Formica countertop sheets and mark the exact points from which you need to cut the countertop.
When you are done marking the points, connect them with a white tape. So, in any case, if there is a tear, it will be on the tape and not the laminate.
Measure it again from the other side and be sure of the measurements.
Ultimately, when you are ready to use a proper single and smooth stroke to cut the piece of laminate. Remove the tapes, and you will have a clean cut.
How to clean Formica Countertop?
Keeping your lowes Formica countertop is extremely important. One of the many advantages of having a laminated countertop is the fact that it is deficient maintenance.
It is easy to clean a Formica laminate countertop.
Choose a good quality soap which is not harsh but does its work well. Abrasive soap will be detrimental to the health of the countertop.
Mix the soap in some water and use a soft cloth to rub the surface with the soapy water.
After a few minutes, leave the mixture for a minute and rinse off. Make sure you clean each nook and corner of the Formica countertop. Dry the counter off with a clean and dry piece of cloth.
Make sure that no part of the countertop remains moist or wet. The remaining water might seep into the laminate and cause swelling of the Formica countertop.
How to remove Formica Countertop?
Removing Formica countertop sheets is really simple, although it will require some good amount of physical strength.
It will also need quite some time to get it all done. So, you might call over some friends and family to help you with it.
The first step is to turn off all the water connections and lines. To be extra sure place a bucket just under the sink to collect remaining water.
Then you will need to remove all the drawers from the various cabinets from the kitchen countertop.
Clean the whole countertop from all the things to make space for yourself. In the next few steps, remove the sink from the area and place it aside.
You might need to call your health freak friend for this step.
After the sink is out of the scene, the countertop has to be unscrewed. You have to do it from the bottom. You can access the screws from the inside of cabinets.
After the Formica countertop is unhinged, simply lift it up and remove it.
Now that you have all the necessary information regarding Formica countertops, we are sure you will be able to decide which colour, texture and width you need.
Formica kitchen countertops are easy to install, long-lasting, environmentally friendly, cost-effective, and durable and look wonderful. Choose your Lowes Formica countertop without much delay.