14 SEER vs 16 SEER | Energy Efficiency Comparison Guide 2022
One of the most important devices in a house or a room is the air conditioner unit or the heating unit.
From the chilly months of December to the flashy hot summer months of May and June, the first thing that needs to be switched on after entering the house or the room, are these two devices.
With the changing times, population growth and increased demand, the market are flooded with heating and cooling devices of various types, features, capacities and price ranges.
If you have planned on getting a new air conditioner or a new heating device for your room, you need to be well informed about all its features.
Surely, you will look for an option that makes the best utilization of the energy it runs on and which is cost-effective and easy on your pockets.
It is almost confusing to a point to choose the perfect machine that suits all your needs. One such feature is the SEER, and one of the greatest debates is that of the 14 seers vs 16 seer.
So let’s get ahead and discuss this in detail. To start, we need to assess and analyze what SEER actually means and only after that can you decide if you need a 16 seer ac or a 14 seer ac.
Read Below Articles
What is SEER?
SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. It is basically the ratio between the outputs of heat or of cooling to that of the total energy it consumes.
It is a rating that signifies how efficient a particular air conditioner or a heater is, in terms of energy consumption.
There are several products that are available in the market and have a vast range in terms of SEER.
The highest is 22 SEER, and the lowest is 13 SEER. The more the SEER, the more is the efficiency of the machine, and the more is its utility value.
Many factors can affect the SEER of a particular air conditioning unit or a heating machine.
You should always be clear about the differences that are between SEER and EER. While EER stands for Energy Efficient Ratio, SEER is the SEASONAL Energy Efficient Ratio.
This difference has some meaning. A SEER rating indicates the energy efficiency of a machine over one whole season instead of a general indication that is provided by the Energy Efficiency Ratio.
The SEER of a device is measured in a controlled temperature environment which ranges from 65 to 104 Fahrenheit, unlike Energy Efficiency Ratio, which is estimated at 95 Fahrenheit.
These are the fundamental differences between the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio and average Energy Efficiency Ratio.
Now that you have a fair idea of what SEER actually means, it is time for us to delve into the real discussion, which is of 14 SEER vs 16 SEER.
So, what really are the differences between the two of these and which of these is the one that is most appropriate for you?
Should you choose a 16 SEER ac unit or do you settle for a 14 SEER one? Now, let us talk about the differences that are there among these two.
What is the difference between 14 SEER and 16 SEER units?
Making the choice between 14 SEER vs 16 SEER is a complicated decision and to make the correct choice you need to know in detail, the difference between these two.
- A 16 SEER Air Conditioning makes use of almost 13 per cent less energy than what a 14 SEER unit does.
- This means that you will have to spend thirteen per cent less money if you have a 16 SEER ac than if you have a 14 SEER one.
- But, there are many other factors which are very crucial and need to be considered before making an accurate assumption on how much you will be originally saving.
- While a 14 SEER ac has a single compressor unit, in a 16 SEER ac there are two-stage compressors in the unit.
- That means that the 16 SEER machine adapts to the conditions inside the room and does not have to run at full speed and then shut out.
- 16 SEER air conditioning is quitter than a 14 SEER unit. Nobody wants a noisy device in their household, so the 16 SEER AC wins a very crucial point here, in the debate of 14 SEER vs 16 SEER.
- Coming to the price of 14 SEER and 16 SEER machines. If you have to consider 14 SEER vs 16 SEER cost, you need to understand how much energy is consumed and given out by these machines.
- It is the indicator of how much energy will be consumed for a particular level of required output. And finally, you will be able to know about 14 SEER vs 16 SEER savings.
- Now thinking from the environmental point of view, let us analyze the 14 SEER vs 16 SEER We all know that our world is facing a serious climate emergency.
- With the ever-increasing depletion of natural resources, not only is our future being pushed away in the dark, but energy is also becoming insanely costly.
- While choosing an air conditioning unit or a heating unit, we thus, need to keep in mind the amount of energy being consumed.
- A 16 SEER ac is more energy efficient. What does this mean? That means that it gives a greater output for a unit of energy intake than a 14 SEER AC because it provides more cooling with the consumption of less energy.
How much more efficient is a 16 SEER vs 14 SEER?
Several factors are involved in the determination of the energy efficiency of any unit. Some of the main factors are –
- Area – The area of your room is extremely crucial. If you have a large space, then you will need a machine which has more BTU.
- If your room receives direct sunlight, you will need a heavy-duty air conditioner. The 14 SEER vs 16 SEER argument thus needs to be made after being aware of all such things.
- If you have a large room and it falls into an area with sunlight for most of the day, the dimension alone will not be informed enough to decide 14 vs 16 seer.
- Time – Another critical factor is the amount of time for which you will need your 16 seer ac or your 14 seer ac.
- If you are going to run it for a long time, it is probably better for you to go with a 16 seer ac unit. Long-running time entails more energy consumption.
- The time of the day when you will be using the air conditioner or the heater is crucial as well. If you require less energy consumption. This translates to increased energy consumption.
- Size of the AC unit – 14 SEER vs 16 SEER debate cannot be accomplished without talking about the size of the unit.
- That will also lead to the determination of 14 SEER vs 16 SEER cost because larger and sturdier machines cost more.
- The size of the air conditioning unit or the heating unit will indicate how much energy is used up at one given point, and with it, the output can be compared.
- The more air it releases to heat up or cool down a room, and the quantity of power it consumes can be considered together to calculate the seasonal energy efficiency ratio.
Now the main question, which one is more efficient? 14 SEER VS 16 SEER
A 16 SEER air conditioner is more efficient than one which has a rating of 14 SEER. If we have to state percentage-wise, a 16 seer ac is 14 per cent more efficient than a 14 seer one.
What does this mean, you ask? This means that if a 14 SEER unit consumes electricity worth hundred dollars a month, a 16 SEER ac will consume fourteen per cent less, which amounts to eighty-six dollars.
That answers the 14 SEER vs 16 SEER savings question we suppose.
So, you will be saving fourteen dollars on your electricity bill for every hundred dollars. The second point that needs to be considered is the noise it produces.
A 14 SEER air conditioner or heater is much noisier than that of 16 SEER. This indicates that in the battle of 14 SEER vs 16 SEER, the 14 SEER will lose because well who wants to have a noisy machine as such?
The last factor to be discussed is the price of the machines, the argument being 14 SEER vs 16 SEER cost.
A 16 seer ac costs more than a 14 SEER ac. The more the SEER, the more will be its cost. So, buying a 16 SEER Air conditioner will cost you more than purchasing a 14 SEER AC.
Now that you know the difference between 14 SEER vs 16 SEER, let us check out some ways to improve the efficiency of your air condition unit –
- Make it a point that you pay appropriate attention to the filters. You should be sure to clean the filters at least once a month if not more.
- That will ensure better air quality and will be suitable for your machine. Clean filters will also lead to greater energy efficiency.
- If you face any technical issues with your machine, it is wiser to call for professional help if you are not a professional yourself.
- DIY techniques might create more trouble and lead to unnecessary use of more power. It might also cause more damage to the device and render it useless.
- Your Air conditioner might get clogged if you don’t clear the air channels. Once that happens, the machine has to work more challenging to draw in the fresh air and ventilate old air.
- That will again lead to more energy consumption hence defy the purpose of a 16 seer ac. Thus, make sure you thoroughly clean out the pipes of the drain at regular and well-planned
- Keep the fan, the compressor and the condenser clean as well. All of these needs to be maintained for them not to get stuck.
- If you do not pay attention to these, they will either malfunction, causing trouble to the machine or they will need replacement.
Now that you know much more about the 14 SEER vs 16 SEER, you ought to make the right choice.
Be sure to consider all the facts as well as the features individually. Do not forget to take a look at all the many advantages as well as the disadvantages that are different from machines of all the SEERs.
Remember, cost-saving and economic choices also need maintenance. It would be best if you never were too sure about a machine, after purchase.
After all, you need to pay attention and give importance to the machines in the room that become essential parts of the family and the house.